THE HEPTON SINGERS (Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire) ARE LOOKING FOR A NEW MUSICAL DIRECTOR TO START AUGUST 2018
This document is also available as a downloadable PDF
THE PERSON WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We would like our director to:
- Have experience of choral conducting and/or relevant training
- Have experience of conducting an a cappella choir
- Direct the choir and develop their choral and performance skills
- Develop the blend and balance of the choir
- Have a wide knowledge of choral music both sacred and secular
- Select an appropriate and balanced repertoire for concerts
- Extend and broaden the choir’s repertoire.
- Conduct concerts and direct rehearsals, which are usually held from the last week in August to mid-July
- Demonstrate good organisational skills
- Work with the Steering Group and attend meetings when required
- Have a tactful, diplomatic personality and be able to interact well with the choir in an enthusiastic manner. Rehearsals must be enjoyable!
- Help the choir organise exchanges with other choirs in the UK and Europe
- Be prepared to make a firm commitment to the choir
We are a long-established choir of 30-35, SATB, based in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire. We sing a varied, exciting a cappella repertoire of mostly classical music from the Renaissance to the 20th and 21st centuries. We have also commissioned work.
We are experienced singers and sing to a high standard. We do not have a formal audition process and the choir is composed of people with a variety of musical skills, capabilities and approaches to learning; e.g. many of us are not sight-singers and appreciate advance notice of rehearsal plans.
As a rule, we perform two programmes a year, the ‘St. Cecilia concert’ in late November, and the Summer concert in early July. Both are performed in the wonderful acoustic of Heptonstall Church to regular audiences of 75+. Additional charity concerts of the same programme are typically given one or two weeks prior to the Heptonstall dates at venues further afield, e.g. Manchester.
We like to offer opportunities to choir members. We use soloists from within our own ranks, and we often include pieces sung by smaller groups from within the choir in our concerts. We also have choir members who can help in rehearsing small groups.
We have enjoyed a number of exchanges with European choirs over the years. See our website for more details.
Choir administration is considered a shared responsibility, coordinated by a Chair and an open ‘Steering Group’, which meets every 4 – 6 weeks. Certain roles are formally agreed at our AGM in early December.
REHEARSAL/MEETING TIME COMMITMENT
- Weekly Rehearsals: every Tuesday evening 7.30pm – 9.45pm.
- Autumn term – from the last Tuesday in August to last weekend in November (approx 10 rehearsals).
- Spring term – from January to mid-July, with a break for Easter (approx. 20 rehearsals).
- Occasional weekend day rehearsals if required.
- Weekend-away rehearsal – we have an extended choir rehearsal over a weekend in the autumn. In 2018 this will be 21-23 September, at Barmoor, a Quaker House, near Hutton le Hole. We usually rehearse for about 6 to 7 hours over the weekend as this is also a social event.
- Our AGM is on the Tuesday following the last November concert.
Other Information is available on request.
- We pay an honorarium – we currently offer our Musical Director £1900 per annum.
- The honorarium is reviewed annually.
- We will cover board, lodging and travel expenses for away trips.
- Please send your CV and letter of application by email to Jan Scott Nelson email@example.com to arrive by Friday 20th April
- We will be shortlisting at the end of April
- The shortlisted candidates will each be expected to conduct the choir for 20 minutes at our rehearsal on Tuesday 8th May, and to attend a subsequent interview (between 9th and 18th May, date to be confirmed)
- The successful candidate will be appointed before the end of May
FURTHER INFORMATION & CONTACT
If you would like to find out more about this opportunity, please contact Jan by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first instance.
If you are not directly interested yourself but know someone who might be please pass on this information. Thank you.